Thursday, August 4, 2011

Maitland Art Gallery

I know it's only down the road, but, shamefully, I'd never been. I'd meant to. I'd thought about it. Lots. I promise. Well, to be fair, Lake Mac gallery and Newcastle Region are closer.... but.....I was finally prompted when I found out that the Maitland Regional Art Gallery had newly acquired a Gillie & Marc sculpture.
my boys getting friendly with 'Fetch Dog'


This 3metre artwork was inspired by the artists own golden retriever, Moby and has a great environmental message. "Globally we tackle environmental issues and wrestle with corporations and countries to adopt better ideals to save our planet. Yet we can't even pick up our own dog poo" the artists said in a statement. 


So I met up with one of my  all time favourite friends for a whirlwind-pram-pushing gallery tour (gallery visits with busy little inquisitive hands are fast and furious. believe me.) David Fairbairn monstrous sized charcoal and gouache portraits are intense and striking. I loved these. Strong markmaking and deeply expressive portraits. Worth a look-see.
David Fairbairns 'Lineage'
My favourite exhibition at the gallery had to be Peter and Fairlie Kingston, A shared Childhood. Two artists, using different mediums to present images from their common history. Beautiful big seaside paintings (Peter), miniature relief ceramic tiles(Fairlie), tiny lit up ceramic buildings that are wonderfully detailed with tiny lamps inside (Fairlie) and beautiful interactive sideshow boxes (Peter), with a vintage feel depicting places, memories, people and events. This one made me feel all nostalgic and like I was on holidays. I also grew up on the coast with a strong emphasis on fishing and boats so the work really resonated with me.  I wish I could show you them all here, but seeing as photos are really a no no in galleries, you'll have to go see for yourself. Take the kids, they'll love it!
some of Fairlie Kingstons dreamy little dwellings

one of Peter Kingstons interactive sideshow boxes
Downstairs was the colourful and playful work of Robyn Stanton Werkhoven & Eric Werkhoven.


No comments:

Post a Comment