Friday, September 9, 2011

It's like a concert tour, but with sketchbooks

I've been away on holidays recently and was delighted to come home and find my sketchbook had arrived.
A teeny tiny little brown book. Empty. But full of possibility.


The Sketchbook Project is a very cool initiative indeed. It is run by the Art House Co-op and involves thousands of artists from all over the world, completing tiny little sketchbooks, in whatever way they want, and then submitting them back to a travelling sketchbook library exhibition. 
Thats right. A whole bunch of these sketchbooks pop up in cities around the world, people come and visit, and look at all the sketchbooks. How fun!

sketchbooks from the 2011 tour, now in the permanent collection of the Brooklyn Art Library.
Artists can also choose to digitise their sketchbook so that people all over the world can hop online and flip through the pages. So when my book is done and sent to the US, you can all still view it! I believe there are plans to bring all the Australian contributions to exhibit in Melbourne at some point. I'd love to go down and spend 2 days drinking coffee and eating pastries and looking at sketchbooks...



So now I have in my hands, my own specially barcoded sketchbook. Ready for me to fill. The starting theme I selected is 'treehouses'
It's hard to know whether to experiment with something completely new....


I'm nervous!





3 comments:

  1. looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Lots of treehouses here - http://pinterest.com/valarie_tonkin/unique-homes-i-d-love-to-live-in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. what fun! I considered myself for this project but I'm not sure I could keep it up in my last semester! Can't wait to see yours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fun! How's the sketching going? Love to see some tree houses - sure made enough as kids!

    ReplyDelete